Most of us has a little voice inside whispering endless reasons why we cannot succeed. It says things like:
- What if I’m not good enough?
- What if no one buys it?
- What if my ex-husband is right and it is a stupid idea?
- Who am I to think that I could write anything that anyone would want to read, let alone buy?
I’ve got news for you. None of us was born with this voice. As a newborn, we didn’t think, “Man I don’t think I can reach those bells hanging over my bed or what if no one likes me.” These are things that we gradually learned through the fears of those around us.
Were you really scared to get on your first bike or was it your parents’ fears for your safety creeping in? Given the choice of any life or career in the world right now, would you choose the one that you are in or is fear stopping you from living the life that you deserve? Were you brought up to believe that safety and earning a “comfortable living” were all that you should happily expect from life? Your soul needs to be fed, just as much as your body does.
For each of the questions above, you need to develop counter questions to see you through to achieving your dreams.
Here are a few of my favorites:
- What if I never try?
- What if they are wrong?
- What if I could have been a number one bestseller?
- What if that next query letter was the one that could get my foot in the door?
- What if the author sitting at those book signings, with all of those children sitting in wonder, could have been me?
- How will my life be different if I don’t do this?
- What kind of example will I be setting for my kids if I don’t do this?
Realize this. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Worst case scenario:
- You get to spend wonderful afternoons coming up with characters and brand new worlds that make you and your family laugh
- You get to plan time to just dream again.
- You leave behind a legacy that your children and their children will treasure. Wow wouldn’t that be horrible?
Best Case Scenario, you are the next Rowling and your stories are adored world wide.
Either way, by writing your book you are 90% ahead of most of the population in achieving your dreams.
Don’t just dare to dream. Dare to do!
Caterina Christakos is the author of several children’s books and how-to books. Her poetry and travel articles have also been featured internationally.